1886 | Dr Alexander Leeper, first Warden of Trinity College, admits the first four resident women to the Trinity College Hostel, at ‘Trinity Terrace’ on Royal Parade. The Rev’d T. Jollie Smith appointed first Principal. He noted that Hostel should ‘approximate as closely as possible to the tone and status of a University College’.
1888 | Miss Lucy Waltham appointed Principal. Issues under her care include safe carriage of students to and from lectures, and rules surrounding admittance of men to the Hostel. Ladies’ Council (including Janet, Lady Clarke) established ‘to assist in the management of the Hostel’. Janet, Lady Clarke offers £5,000 towards the building of a permanent house of residence. Mathew Davies offers £2,000. Land allocated on the Trinity site ‘next to the present Tradesmen’s Avenue’. 1889 Emily Eddes appointed Principal. Charles D’Ebro appointed architect for new building.
1890 | Foundation stone of new building laid as University holiday granted to mark the occasion. Emily Hensley appointed Principal, to supervise ‘the religious,moral and intellectual advancement of the Students who will be under your influence’.
1891 | Miss Constance Eyres elected first Senior Student (renamed Student Club President in 1973).
1891 | New building formally opened by Governor, Lord Hopetoun, on 15 April. Miss Hensley speaks of it as ‘a credit to the name of all Australian women’. Ladies’ Council submits series of proposals and seeks ‘recognised status’ from Trinity College Council.
1892 | Ladies’ Council resigns en masse. Miss Hensley resigns. Trinity College Hostel Tennis Club established involving students and staff. J.T. Collins appointed Principal
1897 | Trinity College Hostel Club (Student Club) established. Janet, Lady Clarke supports creation of Verdon Library (named after Sir George Verdon). College Visitor is appointed (Lady Clarke, wife of Governor Sir George Sydenham Clarke).
1899 | Trinity College Women’s Society established for past students.